How to download, install & setup Microsoft 365
Microsoft 365 offers small businesses a host of benefits. Enhanced security, team collaboration, and secure cloud storage, to name a few. But how is it different from Microsoft Office? And is it easy to install? As an experienced Microsoft Gold Partner, we’re here to help.
This guide will cover the differences between Microsoft 365 and Microsoft Office. We’ll also shed light on plans, prices and how to download, install and invite users.
What is Microsoft 365?
You’ve most likely heard of Microsoft Office. But how is Microsoft 365 different? For one thing, Microsoft 365 is a subscription-based platform paid monthly or annually. It includes many of the same programs, such as Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word and OneNote, but with some added perks.
Microsoft 365 is a shared central management system that keeps all Office apps in one convenient place. It’s also cloud-based, meaning employees can collaborate in live documents from anywhere, and includes built-in security features to help protect your business against cyber threats.
Microsoft 365 gives you access to cloud storage and premium versions of Office apps. You’ll also have advanced tools, including Microsoft Editor and Microsoft Money.
What’s included in a Microsoft 365 business plan?
There are four different plans included with Microsoft 365. The number of apps and features you can access depends on your plan.
Microsoft 365 Business Basics
The Basic Business Plan includes:
- All Office apps for web and mobile.
- Cloud file storage and sharing.
- Scheduling, planning, and tracking tools for managing appointments and gaining customer feedback.
- Email and calendaring, and custom business domain name.
- Access to Microsoft Teams, with chat and audio calls only.
- Built-in cybersecurity controls, including password policies, malware blockers, and access control.
- Access to customer support.
- Access for up to 300 users.
Microsoft 365 Business Standard
The Microsoft 365 Business Standard Plan includes the same offers as the business basics plan but with a few extras, including:
- Webinars with registration pages, email confirmations, and reporting.
- Desktop versions of Office apps for PC and Mac.
- Video calls for Microsoft Teams.
Microsoft 365 Business Premium
The Microsoft 365 Business Premium Plan offers additional features that aren’t included with basic or standard plans, such as:
- Access to Exchange Online Archiving.
- Additional cybersecurity tools using Defender for Business.
- Enhanced malware protection.
- Protection against sophisticated threats, such as hidden email links and attachments.
- The ability to remotely wipe company data from lost and stolen devices.
- Restricting where company information is saved, e.g., on unauthorised apps.
- Device management features, including automatically installing apps and configuring security controls.
Microsoft 365 apps for business
Microsoft 365 apps for business offers access to Office programs wherever you’re working. The plan includes Word, Excel, Outlook, and other Office apps. Each user can connect to five devices per year with access to 1TB of storage and file sharing capabilities.
What add-ons are available for Microsoft 365?
Add-ons are available with every plan, so you can choose features that match your business needs. Just be mindful that these add-ons come with additional fees.
Available add-ons include:
- Audio conferencing — offers dial-in and out features to join calls from anywhere, with or without an internet connection.
- Business voice — access Microsoft Teams Phone, enabling call transfer and forwarding, call queues, and auto attendants.
- Windows 365 — stream content from your Office apps in the cloud to any device.
How much is Microsoft 365?
We’ve discussed what’s included in each plan, but how much does Office 365 cost? The price depends on:
- The plan you choose
- The number of employees
- How you pay
Any add-ons you choose will affect the total cost, too. Below, you can see a breakdown of Microsoft’s prices:
|Plan||Monthly fee (per user)||Annual fee (per user)|
How to download and install Microsoft 365
Unsure how to install Microsoft 365? Follow these instructions.
Sign in to download Office
- Sign in on office.com.
- Once signed in, follow the steps that feature on-screen. A prompt will ask you to Install Office. Then, select Office 365 apps to begin the installation.
- This will complete the download of Office to your desktop. To complete installation, follow the instructions in the “Install Office” section below.
- If you’re using Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer as a browser, select Run. Select Setup in Chrome or Save File in Firefox.
- If a User Account Control prompts a pop-up that says, “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?” Press Yes.
- Wait for the installation to finish.
- Open an Office app, select the Start button (lower-left of your screen) and type the name of an Office app, like Excel. If you have Windows 8.1 or 8.0, you can type the name of your chosen Office app on the Start screen.
- Open the Office app by selecting its icon.
- When the app opens, accept the licence agreement. Your Office app is now activated and ready to use.
How to setup Microsoft 365 apps – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
Run through these five simple steps to setup up Office apps.
- Sign in-in to the Microsoft 365 admin centre, select Office software
- Under Language, choose your preferred language. Then select
- When prompted, select
- You’ll be asked: Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device? Select
- Once the installation is complete, you can take a tour to familiarise yourself with the app. When done, close the tour and the installation dialogue box.
How to invite new users to Microsoft 365
Has a new starter joined your business? If so, follow these steps to invite users to Microsoft 365.
- Head to the Microsoft 365 admin centre. Select Invite people to Microsoft 365.
- Add the usernames and email addresses of the people you’d like to invite.
- An invitation will be sent to all users you selected. Users will be asked to add their account information to Microsoft 365.
- After this, it’s a good idea to follow up with your users by ensuring they received their email invitations.
Get the most out of Microsoft 365 with Fabric IT.
We can help you get the most out of your Microsoft Office subscription with our Microsoft Dynamics 365 support.
Microsoft Dynamic 365 streamlines your processes from start to finish. We do this by integrating CRM and ERP systems with cloud-based apps, which you can access anywhere at any time. So, whether it’s enhancing lead generation, tracking sales performance, or financial planning, Microsoft Dynamic 365 can make your business more efficient.
Want to know more? Get in touch for a free demo or to discuss opportunities. Call us on 01625 443 100 or message us to chat with a Fabric IT expert.